Okay, so these aren’t the real deal – but they are the next best thing! It took me a while to get this recipe right, as Ferrero Rochers have such a creamy, indulgent texture (and flavour) that it was important to do it justice. I don’t think anyone will be confusing the two anytime soon, but these have the super added bonus of being made from entirely whole food ingredients, therefore they are much better for you!
- 1 & 1/4 c raw hazelnuts (soaked overnight)
- 1 & 1/4 c sesame seeds
- 8 dates
- 4 T cocoa
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 175°C fan-bake.
- Drain nuts and bake for 10 minutes. Stir them.
- Remove from oven – try remove the skins as much as you can – at least 80%. (I found this really painful & time consuming!)
- Blend 1/4 c hazelnuts.
- Add to the bowl with a teaspoon of cocoa.
- Take out 16 whole nuts for the middle of each ball.
- Add the remaining nuts and sesame seeds into blender.
- Add dates one by one – this will take about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend. If it is too crumbly add some water/coconut oil and if it is too oily freeze for ten minutes.
- Roll into balls and flatten with a spoon.
- Put the hazelnut in the middle and then roll the ball up around it.
- Roll in chopped hazelnut / cocoa mixture and then freeze.