These delicious little gems are the best ‘cleaneats’ treat I’ve made to date. The lemon cream is just so tangy and refreshing, and the tarts as a whole are surprisingly filling. They are also pretty easy to make, in that there is no oven required – rather they just get frozen. Also, the turmeric gives them a bright yellow colour, which could never be achieved from lemons alone (and it adds extra health benefits!). I like to eat them straight from the freezer, but people I’ve served them to have definitely commented they should thaw for 10 or so minutes before eating.
For the base
- 1 c cashew
- 1 c desiccated coconut
- 10 dates
For the lemon cream
- 1 c cashew (soaked for 30 minutes in water)
- 3 T coconut milk
- 2 T oil
- Juice and zest of 5 lemons
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 3 T maple syrup
- Food process all the ingredients for the base. If it isn’t sticky enough, add an extra date or two.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cups and press the mixture into the moulds.
- Refrigerate while making the lemon cream.
- To make the lemon cream but everything into a food processor and whizz.
- Spoon the mixture into the moulds and freeze.