I love a good ginger crunch. It would be one of my favourite slices, however I think that there is quite a big difference between a ‘good’ ginger crunch and a bad one. I don’t like it when they just taste like sugar, which is why this recipe is packed with coconut, rolled oats and of course, ginger. The pistachios on the top elevate it to being an ‘excellent’ ginger crunch! It is surprisingly quick to whip up, and doesn’t involve too much technique. It is, however, a real crowd-pleaser and is a great wee addition to any kind of party. Personally, I love a bit with my cup of tea each night 🙂
Collect for the base
- 150 g butter
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 2 T golden syrup
- 3/4 c plain flour
- 1.5 t baking powder
- 1.5 t ground ginger
- 1.5 c whole oats
- 3/4 c shredded coconut
Collect for the icing
- 125 g butter
- 3 T golden syrup
- 5 t ground ginger
- 2 c icing sugar, sifted
- chopped pistachios for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large pot over a medium heat, stirring gently to combine. Remove from heat.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger into the pan with the butter mixture. Add the oats and coconut, stirring to combine. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and flatten with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then remove, but leave in the tin.
- To make the icing, gently melt the butter and golden syrup in a pan over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and sift in the ginger and icing sugar. Stir until smooth. Tip onto the warm slice and spread. Top with chopped pistachios.
- Leave in the tin to cool then cut into slices. Refrigerate.