This is SUCH an easy dessert, but the final product is so flash that people expect you to have spent hours cooking it. Little do they know that everything gets chucked into a pot, and away you go. Great for dinner parties and the like.
- 6 pears
- 3/4 c golden syrup
- 3 c water
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 20 g butter
- 1/4 c almonds
- ice-cream/yoghurt to serve
- Peal peers smooth, leaving the stems intact. Slice 1 cm off the bottoms so that they can stand upright.
- In a medium sized pot, heat the golden syrup until it boils and turns a dark brown (it will take a few minutes once boiling). Keep stirring so that it doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom.
- Add water and vanilla before adding the pears – whcih should sit at least 3/4 submerged in liquid.
- Cover the pot partially, and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes (approx). Stir every so often.
- Remove the pears.
- Using the sauce remaining in the pot, add the sea salt and boil for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in the butter.
- Serve with toasted almonds and ice-cream/yoghurt.