Such a delicious meal, these go particularly nicely in the summer time when there is an abundance of colourful vegetables. Basically when I make these tasty tarts, I get some pastry (I like puff pastry more, and because it is harder to make, for convenience sake I usually pre-buy it) and then just layer it with everything possible. Depending on what you choose to put on it, it may require pre-cooking some of the vegetables so that everything is cooked evenly when it is served.
- 4 sheets of puff pastry
- an array of summer vegetables, including zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onion, capsicum
- something to put on the base – whether it be caramelised onion, diced beetroot, hummus/pesto, olive oil or some other kind of sauce
- basil for garnish
- Roll the pastry out so that it is about 1 cm thin. Roll over the edges to form a small crust (which will puff up significantly when it cooks).
- Spread a base layer across the pastry and then layer with whatever you please.
- Bake in the oven for about half an hour on 180°C.