This salad is so beautiful, so tasty, so fresh and has the added bonus of being healthy. There is a massive assortment of fruit and vegetables included within the salad, guaranteeing you that 5+ a day (servings and colours included). There is also protein from the haloumi and texture from the walnuts.
- 3c lettuce leaves (I use half rocket and half baby spinach)
- 1/2 seeded pomegranate
- 15 cherry tomatoes (whole or cut)
- 1/4 sliced cucumber
- 1/2 orange
- 1/2 yellow capsicum
- 10 strawberries
- halloumi cheese (as much as you want – I tend to use the whole block)
- [any other fruit and vegetables you want to add – purple cabbage looks pretty great!]
- nuts and seeds / candied walnuts (see recipe below)
- Dressing: 1/4 EVOO + lemon + 2 T balsamic
- To make the candied walnuts, cook the walnuts in 2T of butter and 1/4C brown sugar. Stir frequently to ensure it doesn’t burn and add any additional sugar/butter as needed. It takes awhile for the sugar to melt properly – when it does it will turn into quite a liquid, but once taken off the heat it will harden up again quickly. While it is a liquid make sure all the nuts have been coated, and then once removed from the heat, separate the nuts out on a plate because once they harden they are really hard to break.
- Mix all the fruit and vegetables. (I like to layer all the salad ingredients so that it looks super pretty, but it isn’t essential because it ends up all being mixed anyway!)
- Slice the haloumi thinly into slices. Cook either on the BBQ, or in a pan – using oil to ease the stickiness.
- Add the dressing just before you serve the salad, to avoid it going soggy.