Yummy, beetroot tart is so delicious! I made this recipe recently for a fundraising morning tea at my work, where the theme was ‘pink’ in support of breast cancer. I just knew that everyone was going to bring sweet treats so I thought I would make something savoury just to be a little unique. The tart did not take that long to make and it is also very simple. The basic ingredients combine together well to form delicious flavours. Needless to say, the tart was very well received!
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 100 g feta
- 1.5 T fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 T runny honey
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 handfuls of baby rocket
- 1 ripe pear, sliced
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 180°C. Chop the beetroot into halves or quarters and wrap in tinfoil. Bake for 45 minutes or until the beetroot is cooked through (there should be no resistance when sliced) . Once cool, remove skins and slice.
- Roll out the pastry into a long rectangle tart shape. Optional: brush with egg and cook for 15 minutes before putting the beetroot on.
- Arrange the slices of beetroot on the pastry, overlapping slightly and covering it thoroughly. Mix thyme, honey and olive oil together and brush over beetroot. Top with the feta. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Just before serving, toss rocket with pear slices and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle over tart.