Recently I have been on a real money-saving mission. Given that I am the kind of person who is usually always saving for that overseas trip, I think the reason that I am saving so well is because I am determined not to let the fact that I have nothing planned get in the way of my incentive to save. One of the easiest ways to save (and I’m sure you’ve heard it all before) is to bring my own lunch to work each day. Normally I will cook enough for dinner to create leftovers, but sometimes there just isn’t enough! I try and plan my weeks in advance so that in one week I’ll have cook dinners that give me lots of leftovers for the next day or a week that gives me absolutely none, and in those weeks with none I will cook up something in advance and just have that for lunches each day. My most recent discovery is broccoli salad, and it makes for such a nice change from green salad or couscous (my default options).
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 c sunflower seeds or raw almonds
- 1/4 c finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 c grated cheese
- 1 c fresh green beans
- 1 c corn kernels
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 1 t garlic
- 1/2 t salt
- Dry roast the sunflower seeds (just in a pan on the stove is fine. Watch closely though, they burn so easily)
- In a bowl, add the chopped broccoli, onion, cheese, beans and corn. Mix with the sunflower seeds and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic and salt and whisk until blended.
- Pour over the salad and mix through. The longer the dressing sits on the salad, the better it tastes – so lunch gets more enjoyable as the week goes on 🙂