Everyone needs to know a good caramel slice recipe, or where to find one. This recipe is very straight forward, easy to make and incredibly delicious. The worse part about making caramel slice yourself is you then can’t play oblivious to the ingredients it contains… which makes me feel extremely guilty when I then proceed to eat about five bits in one sitting! Some things are just too tasty. It’s a great recipe when you need to take a place to a morning tea or group event as caramel slice is always a winner (which means you won’t be bringing it all home…!).
- 150 g plain flour
- 110 g brown sugar
- 40 g dessicated/shredded coconut
- 125 g butter, melted plus 100 g more
- 790 g sweetened condensed milk
- 80 ml golden syrup
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 180°C bake, and lightly grease a brownie tin and line it with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and coconut. Add melted butter, mix well. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- Combine the extra butter, the condensed milk and the golden syrup in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth. Pour over base and then bake for 25 minutes until golden. Cool.
- Melt the chocolate, either on the stove-top or in the microwave. Add the oil and stir until smooth. Pour evenly over slice.
- Let the chocolate set before cutting the slice.