I know I have posted a scone recipe already (Cheddar and Chive flavoured) but sometimes more of a meaty, colourful scone is desired. Obviously, you could just use the other scone recipe and add ham or bacon but when we tried this recipe I thought the dough was particularly good so thought it would be worthwhile putting that up too.
- 4 c self-raising flour
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 100 g chilled, unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 slices of ham, chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 c grated cheese (tasty cheese is the most flavorsome)
- 1.5 c milk
- 180°C fan bake. Grease and flour a baking tray (or just use baking paper)
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the cayenne pepper and rub in the butter with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ham, spring onion, capsicum and 1.5 c of the cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the milk, stirring it so that it is just combined – don’t over mix.
- Place balls of the mixture onto the tray. Sprinkle with cheese and brush the top with milk. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.