My American blog posts:
The US of A is a land like no other. Barack Obama (former president) was one of the greatest leaders this world has ever seen, while their current president sits somewhere at the other end of the spectrum. So many people aspire to live the American Dream, and although I am yet to figure out exactly why that is so, America is pretty freakin’ awesome. I have only been there three times, but admittedly it’s a pretty special place. There is certainly lots to dislike about it though – I swear they put sugar in everything (it’s certainly in their bread) and there is a serious issue with gun control.
- Capital: Washington DC
- Population: 324 million
- Currency: United States Dollar ($)
- Language: English
- Highlights: The US is beyond massive so it isn’t hard to believe that there is just so much to do and see there. Instead of categorising the country by cities to visit, I think it would be far more useful to describe some of the cool things the country has to offer, and where you might go if you want to find those things.
- Beaches: Hawaii – not on the mainland, Hawaii has some of the best surf in the world. It also has some great diving spots and a great climate all year around!
- Snow: Colorado, Wyoming, Vermont – there are so many snowy states, with some epic mountains and powder to explore.
- Shopping: Bright lights big city baby. New York (duh).
- Sport: Well, no matter where you go there will be something on all year around. Baseball (MLB), Basketball (NBA) and American Football (AFL) to name just a few. The atmosphere at sport games like these is virtually incomparable to anything that we get in New Zealand.
- Music: Jazz – hit up New Orleans. Rap – well we all know Eminem is from Detroit.
- Nature: There are so many national parks, mountains and trails to hike. Yosemite National Park is one of the most well known, and the Grand Canyon is virtually a must do.
- Road trips: Ain’t nothing quite like cruising down route 66 with the hood top back.
- Did you know?
- The Declaration of Independence was issued on the 4th of July and probably one of the most important American holidays that exists.
- The second most common language in the US is Spanish.
- The current 50-star American flag was designed by a 17-year-old as a school project in 1958. He got a B-.
- Useful tips:
- Tipping is a REAL thing! And it is seriously rude not to do so. When eating out, I learnt to include the additional 20% in my calculation of how much my meal would cost me, so that I wasn’t so grossly taken aback each time I had to add another 20% on. When I didn’t include the tip, food always felt really cheap.